HEART UK – The Cholesterol charity - is the only charity in the UK dedicated to supporting people with raised cholesterol and other blood fats and also supporting the healthcare professionals treating these conditions. We aim to prevent avoidable and early deaths caused by high cholesterol. We're committed to raising awareness about the risks of high cholesterol, lobbying for better detection of those at risk and supporting health professional training.
Six out of ten adults in the UK have raised cholesterol and 120,000 have an inherited high cholesterol condition called Familial Hypercholesterolemia (FH). People with FH are born with the condition and most will have double or triple the normal level of cholesterol, left unidentified and untreated these people are likely to have a heart attack, stroke or sudden death in their 20s, 30s and 40s and in more complicated cases, teenage years.
Cholesterol is a silent killer. It is one of the UK’s biggest modifiable risk factors for heart disease and there are no symptoms, often the first sign of a problem is a heart attack.
The charity’s vision is that by 2016, the majority of UK adults will know their cholesterol levels, understand the impact and to be taking any necessary action.
HEART UK is here for anyone affected by raised cholesterol. HEART UK brings people together, provides information, support, education and campaigns for improved identification & standards of care.
HEART UK – The Cholesterol charity is committed to:
- Raising awareness about the risks of high cholesterol
- Campaigning for better detection of those at risk
- Funding research into improved treatments
- Supporting health professional training.
- Promoting healthier lifestyles
HEART UK has campaigned successfully in a number of areas.
- Campaigning for a national disease prevention programme, which helped lead to the NHS Health Checks programmet
- Successful lobbying for the retention and implementation of the NHS Health Checks programme
- Improved recognition of the need to rollout NICE Guidelines on Familial Hypercholesterolaemia
- Positively influencing health policy through participation in Government consultations and meetings programme
- Direct involvement in developing and advising on NICE Guidelines on cardiovascular issues
- Developing influential publications and resources in areas including cardiac rehabilitation, acute coronary syndrome and familial hyper cholesterolaemia.
HEART UK, 7 North Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 1PE. Telephone: 01628 777046. Charity Number 1003904, Registered company number 02631049